Wellll, lets see...Christmas here in Florida may have at come close to breaking the record high temperature of 1986, people! High 80's the last few weeks. It is weird to say the least. Many days I try to at least wear jeans, or a scarf, cause I'm sick of shorts and tank tops mostly. But this last week, the week before Christmas I gave up. Between the heat and humidity coupled with the stomach flu, and a broken A/C it was tank tops all the way.
Speaking of the stomach flu, we got it. Half of Christmas break... the week before Christmas were spent in the house. We didn't have big plans for Christmas, but spending another day in pj's is less appealing then usual. I might get dressed just for the heck of it...I still have time.
We couldn't go to Christmas Eve service mainly because I was weak and fatigued, plus I thought we could still be contagious. So we decided to stay home. Boy would I have just died to see my boys sing"Hark the Harlod Angels Sing" And be at our church for Christmas Eve.
Instead, We loaded up in the truck and headed to Starbuck's trusty Drive-thru for hot cocoa. With plans to drive around in our truck were we couldn't contaminate the general public. Except it wasn't trusty because it closed at 6 or 7 on Christmas Eve and it was 7:16pm. I knew that, but I guess my brain was foggy. Anyway, After the boys disappointment we drove through the neighborhoods with ooooh and ahhhhhs from Asher cause he's the baby and still finds great joy in these things. I didn't have my video camera or my camera, but I sure hope I can etch that jaw-dropping awe, and smile that lasted the whole drive in my mind. The boys were happy cause they got to "drive" in the driver seat.
I won't lie it's a little depressing to drive past house after house with the hustle and bustle of family and friends gathered round, hardly a parking spot left. But this is our life right now and I know I'm blessed. Even if I live in somewhere only a short time, even if friends are often temporary, even if family isn't around, and we aren't home... I know it full well. We went for a walk and stopped at the neighbors who had invited us over earlier in the day. Greg's call.. I didn't want to contaminate *God, help everyone to be well, and not catch whatever we had* We were outside so that helps, I hope. I also didn't want to go because they have one grown son and we have three un-grown, loud, wonderful boys who I knew would wreck havoc on their home on Christmas Eve. But we stopped in for a bit, and I'm glad we did. The people were so kind. And generous, and poor Benji ,the homeowner, waited on the boys and a foot, even when I told him to stop. I am thankful he didn't hear them say" I feel like we have a butler." The are rotten I tell ya!
Anyway, my heart felt full to be around kind people, a few of there friends stopped by and it was just a joy to be in their presence, even for a short while. I'm a people person, ya know! At home, bath and bed. We read a story about Newborn Baby Jesus a book we were given when Keegan was a newborn, and of course we also read A Soldier's Christmas Eve. The boys crashed immediately... Thank God!
This year more then ever I reflected on the birth of our Savior, each year the older I get it's more the case. I realize my need, our need for salvation more, I am thankful more, I can differentiate what is important more easily. It doesn't mean it makes it easier to miss out on certain things, or to not get caught up in Christmas culture. But it is good to know the truth not only in your mind but in your heart.
I don't want to forget this Christmas, It didn't always feel like Christmas, It was unlike any other, and it was good.


No comments:
Post a Comment