Tuesday, June 21, 2011

my town { the country}

One of the great things about where I’m from is the versatility. You can be in a rural area with cows, drive a little bit and be at the beach. I actually grew up(till twelve) in the “city” if you want to call it that. When I turned twelve my dad got his way and we moved out to the country. We had acres of land, long dirt roads, the woods to walk in, hay bales to jump on (till mom said we couldn’t), we literally played hid-in-seek in the corn rows. so.much.fun! The city is a six minute drive from the country. So I still say I’m from Florida even though half my life before marriage was spent here.
florabama 2011 (126)florabama 2011 (124)
Every picture has a story, and a meaning to me. We (when say we, I mean me and my five siblings) used to walk on this fence. We liked the fact that the poles would spin as you walk. One brother lost a tooth that way doing  a face-plant right on it.

florabama 2011 (131)
I think this road has more memories than any of the other pictures in this post. This road is approximately 1.5 miles. And the bike rides that we had…Oh sooooo many. We would actually complete to see who could right to the end and back without holding on the their handlebars. I was pretty good at this. At the end is a hill and  canopy of shadiness made of trees. The coolness provided felt so good after a hot bike ride, but it was a little eerie down there. Blackberry picking, A bullie that teased me and knocked me into torns, long walks and talks, as a family, but a lot with just my sis.

florabama 2011 (129)
These are the trees that at one point held a mini treehouse. Really only big enough to sit. I have on clear as day memory of sitting up there mad as a hornet.

florabama 2011 (145)florabama 2011 (144)
When we first moved in my dad put up this gate to protect the premises. It kind of just sits now, all rusty, but at this point it’s kind of like a landmark of sorts.
florabama 2011 (171)florabama 2011 (167)
And my dad planted these grapes , too. I don’t even remember how long ago. They are still doing amazing. In fact, one has grown up a 30 foot + Pine tree and is coming back down. Not exactly having a problem on growth. But, it would be better if they could be reached. These grapes aren’t ripe yet, but they are so pretty.

Well, there you have it. The country side of where I'm from.

2 comments:

Our Party of Five said...

Oh Sarah! This might be one of my favorite posts you've ever done. I love the stories behind each photo-I especially love the ones of the dirt road, and where the light is coming through the trees.
I think everyone has things about their childhood home that they remember. Most everything has a memory attached to it.
Staying up late in the kitchen, watching MASH, the driveway where my dad taught me how to change a tire.
Loved this one!
xoxo

Janell said...

I love these pictures and the stories! awesome post Sarah. Miss you!