Tuesday, April 12, 2011

15 minutes & zero dollas

If you have 15 minutes and zero dollars you are qualified for these crafts. I have been doing a little spring cleaning, and when I clean… I tweak, and as I tweak I sing’ With a tweak tweak here, and a tweak tweak there, here a tweak, there a tweak, everywhere a tweak tweak” to the tune of Old McDonald of course. Yes, I'm losing it over here. By tweaking I mean, I do little adjustments the areas in my house I’m less than happy with.
april11 (46)
Over the weekend I “tweaked'’ the boys room by replacing a toy chest with this more airy, super functional(for Lego obsessed boys) table. It is easier to maneuver around and makes the room look bigger to. For $15.00 I have NO complaints.

Then I got to work on the boys Easter baskets. I have not been able to bring myself to spend the big bucks on Pottery Barn Easter baskets that I know the boys will quickly outgrow. I have probably wasted just as much money trying to find something equally as cute that ends up being less than functional. Like these from Lillian and Vernon. Thankfully, they were cheaper than that when I got them.  Still not cheap, really not cheap if you pay for shipping to Japan like I did with Tates, and as usual only one color for boys. Wanna know the worst part???  The handle is hinged so as your child runs merrily on Easter morn gathering precious eggs they lose them as the basket sways back and forth. MAJOR FAIL. So instead of purchasing another monstrosity for Asher I went back to the drawing board and bought these simple baskets from Joann’s—On sale of course.
april11 (62)
Then I took an old cereal box, left over cardstock from another project, and some Modge Podge. And there you have it… Chipboard letters for each child. FOR FREEEEEEEEEE
april11 (50)
april11 (53)april11 (55)april11 (54)
Continuing on , Asher’s bed was looking a little sad. I used to have a canvas hanging above it but recently re-arranged and decided against it over the bed. So I went and purchased the sample size Valspar paint from Lowes, traced around a large bowl, and painted it, then added the letter “a” he already had in his room. Total cost 2.94
april11 (3)
BEFORE
april11 (14)
AFTER
The big boys room is constantly a work in progress. It is always in need of deep cleans which leads to “tweaking.”  Now I’m not all about themed rooms but I really want their room to feel cottagey without feeling beachy, and adventurous without being too old world. The wall above there bed was looking bland to say the least , in need of some boyish charm, and I was not in the mood to spend the big bucks for wall art. Free is looking better and better these days. So I used some craft paper which comes in a roll at Michaels, is heavier than regular paper, and the color is more aged and warm then plain white. I use this stuff for everything. Table runners for partys, wrapping presents, paper airplanes :) I made paper airplanes, and strung them up with needle and thread—Unfortunately not as easy as it seems. And I’m so uncool I had to google '”paper airplanes” to know how to fold them. I’m happy with it considering it was FREEEEEE. This might be lame, but I’m digging it at the moment. My next plan 1.) find more earth globes, 2.) stack vintage suitcases in place of their Plain Jane nightstand. However, they haven’t had that nightstand long sooooooo I’m going to have to find a new use before I can replace.
april11 (47)
While the paper airplanes were coming alive the boys created pirate maps out of some of the craft paper rolled out. I don’t know why but it’s so much more fun then regular paper.
april11 (59)april11 (60)
After playing cool mom and making each boy a paper airplane we headed out to Cub Scouts. Question: Is this spring cleaning or I’m a sympathy nesting for my prego friends?

5 comments:

Janell said...

oh my gosh you are sooo creative! Can you please come to Hawaii and redo my whole house? I love love love your creative style! and i love those easter baskets with the initials. you rock!

Mama Bear said...

I hate when I have so many thoughts and smiles in one post. This post almost makes me not like you anymore. Make me some of those letters, I'll get the baskets. K? :) You so crafty! Good thing I know it is just not one of my gifts. So it's okay! I love you!....and am thinking of ways to use you and abuse you to decorate my house!

heather said...

Very cute ideas. Being crafty enables you to do so much with your home, and you know it's not something everyone else has either, which makes it unique!

Our Party of Five said...

I love the airplanes! What a great idea! I like the way you hung them, too. You've always had good execution when it comes to thinking of something-and then making it look good!
xoxo

Sarah said...

thank you all. you are all sweet , sweet, sweet. I wish I could come and help you all decorate. I think you are all more talented then you know and don't need me, but I enjoy it, so if I could I would be decorating away andywhere I was allowed. Again thanks. You guys are just great and the kind words mean so much. xo