Monday, February 21, 2011

He taught me, then I knew

Quality time on President's Day consisted of doing an endless list of household chores. We pretty much didn't stop, until dinner at least. Then on the back porch we had the most scrumptious ribs Greg smoked to perfection. I'm not even a ribs person and these were good. To top it off we were sitting under the new ceiling fan my hard-working husband also installed today. What can I say, He ain't lazy. Anyway, Tate, and I ,and Asher too got to learn about plants, and roots, and digging holes. It was quite fun. Yesterday we picked out some Texas Sage and umm, umm, I forgot the name of the reddish grass, I'll have to get back to you one that one. We planted it along the completely barren side of our house and plan to do some other sparse areas in the near future. Just trying this on for size. Today while digging I stood on the big shovel with two feet, just like my dad used to do. I remember planting hundreds of little pine tree sapling with him, around the perimeter of our three acre yard, saplings he got for Arbor Day. My dad loved plants, and trees, and nature. I loved to watch my dad do stuff like dig holes as a kid. He made it look so easy. I was wondering if Tate thought I made it look easy too. As he sat with his teeny tiny shovel barely able to break through the mulch. I said "Tate, my dad used to plant things with me and he taught me how to dig holes like this. "  Tate said, " He taught you and then you knew?" Puzzled and then excited. Kids are great. They were all excited and Keegan even showed up in time to help with the last hole.
 
DSC_0073DSC_0074
Here are  the plants we picked
 
DSC_0062
 
DSC_0068
my big helper doing some serious digging.
 
DSC_0078
Asher happy as a clam with the “girly shovel” no one else wanted.
 
DSC_0081
Keegan arrived home from school just in time to help break soil on the last hole.
 
DSC_0090
They’re still little now, but I think with time it’ll really be looking nice!

1 comment:

Mama Bear said...

It will look so nice! And has Keegan grown like a foot recently?! He just looks so big and handsome!