Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Blast From the Past- Showa Park

If you’ve been to Fussa-Shi, You’ve been to Showa. It is the first place my friend, and tour guide, Janell, took me in Japan. It is only about 15 minute train ride from Yokota Air Base to the park. It is HUGE. You could walk all day and not see it all. There is a bike path, boats, flower gardens, food, big open fields for picnics and kite flying, and more. At Christmas they had the whole place decorated with Christmas lights and they had a fireworks show, in the summer they open little kiddie sized pools. The pictures I am sharing are from a day Greg took them there. He brought what he called is “baby assault pack” complete with a hammock, pacifier, snacks and a change of clothes. The boys had a great time and I did too. If I remember correctly I was out with friends having lunch and shopping somewhere in Tokyo—Perhaps Kichijoji.


DSC_0637

DSC_0643DSC_0645
Poor Keegan reeeally needed a haircut. My only excuse—I didn’t like the job they did on base ;(

DSC_0650DSC_0656
DSC_0674
The playgrounds are so unique. There is even some white things to jump on we Americans would refer to as “Marshmallows” or “clouds”. Pictured behind Keegan’s rugged hair do.
The playarea above is made of nets and of course, all the boys loved them because it was like playing Spiderman.

DSC_0660

DSC_0661

DSC_0668

DSC_0662
Lovin’ the tongue action

DSC_0670
Who could forgert the rolley sides. SO FUN…At least until your fingers get stuck. OUCH!

DSC_0676
Time for a siesta

DSC_0631

Lil’ Tate hitched a ride on dad’s back because the walking from train to train was a bit much for those little legs.

Showa is one reason I sometimes miss life in Japan.

4 comments:

Mama Bear said...

No way! They are so tiny! What great photos you took even back then! I love seeing your Japan journey!

Sarah said...

Greg actually took all those- I was quite impressed myself. I know they are both soooo small. That was only April 09!!

Janell said...

aww such great memories at Showa! One of my favorite memories was going to the winter illumination with you guys (it was soo cold), and of course the first time walking there with you. hehe. I LOVE the pics of Tate in the spiral and the shadow. Greg has a good eye!

Our Party of Five said...

that is the COOLEST park!! how much fun!!
I loved the photo of the ice cream!